RUMAFRICA Magazine

RUMAFRICA FASHION

RUMAFRICA FASHION

WORSHIP IS MY LIFE STYLE: JOHN SHABANI


John Shabani leading thousands of people in praise and worship at Mountain of Fire, Mikocheni B' Assemblies of God WORSHIP IS MY LIFE STYLE Stop Talking and Start Living A Lifestyle Of Worship I’m no theologian, but from my perspective that doesn’t leave any stone unturned. No facet of our lives is exempt from the glory of God. We don’t keep any for ourselves. We don’t hide anything behind closed doors. There are no secrets, no facade, no silence when it comes to God and His glory.



He is a jealous God – passionate for our full attention, admiration, and affection. And He’s the only being in the universe that can demand such loyalty. It’s right for Him to do so. All of our lives should reflect the greatness of God in Christ through the Holy Spirit. But so often this worship is reserved for the holy moments…the spiritual parts of our life such as church attendance, devotions, small groups, & when we’re listening to worship music. In the grand scheme of our week, that’s a small amount of time. What about the rest? Is Your Worship A Lifestyle? When I was taking my Bachelor Degree at Christian Leadership University, one of my Lecture, Dr. LaMar Bochman (has also led worship on several Integrity Music Praise tapes), says: One of the very important that every believer has know, is the necessary of worship and that every one of us has to make it a priority in his/her life”.


Now; If your worship is a lifestyle, it affects every part of you. It’s not just a conversation you have, a t-shirt you wear, or a conference you attend. It is…you. Consider your 5 senses: Are you using your eyes to constantly see more of His glory and stand more in awe? Are you using your ears to be tuned into the voice of Holy Spirit? Are you using your mind to comprehend the mysteries of God through the Bible? Are you tasting and seeing that God is good? Are you feeling strong affections for Christ deep in your bones? Are you reaching out and extending God’s grace to the world? If I’m honest, I’m far from it. Most of the time I’m swirling in a world of dirty diapers, sleepless nights, selfish pursuits, and overflowing to-do lists.



I recently finished Charles Duhigg’s The Power of Habit. I must say, it was one of the most insightful, helpful books I’ve read in a long time. The whole premise of the book is about automating our lives to see the results we want. Stop Making So Many Decisions If worship is to become a lifestyle, it needs to be automated – second nature. You shouldn’t wake up in the morning and have to decide whether you’ll read your Bible or not. It needs to be an automatic action. You should haven’t to decide whether you’ll love Jesus today. It’s automatic. It needs to become a habit. I think that’s the problem with the practicalities of “doing all” to the glory of God. We rely on our decision making power as to whether it will happen or not. Simply put, that’s hard. I’d rather eat cookies than broccoli.

I’d rather sleep in than pray. I’d rather read a gripping novel than the Bible. Resolutions aren’t enough. A task list isn’t enough. Putting it on the calendar isn’t enough. We know this is true because we’ve all ignored these things plenty of times. But as Charles says in his book, a habit can be changed when you associate a habit with a certain cue and determine a reward. For example, if I want to spend time in worship each morning, I need to identify the current habit hindering that from happening. Maybe currently you hear the alarm, hit the snooze, and sleep another hour.



In order to change that, you need to associate the habit of morning worship with the alarm. The reward could be a closeness with Christ throughout the day that you wouldn’t experience otherwise. See how that works? It’s all about training yourself to develop a worship habit. What’s Next? When I say the words “habit” and “automatic” I don’t mean mindless, boring, heartless action.



I mean, like Aristotle says, “We are what we repeatedly do.” Therefore, to become a worshiper, we need to repeatedly worship. I want that action to become as natural as breathing, brushing my teeth, and eating my meals. Because it’s of even higher importance. Let’s start a dialogue. I’d love to hear from you how you make worship a habit.